The VET Student Loans program is an Australian Government loan program that helps eligible students enrolled in approved courses at diploma level or above, at approved course providers pay their tuition fees. Partners in Training is an approved VET Student Loan provider.
The loan has income-contingent repayment arrangements, which means you only need to make repayments if you are earning above the minimum repayment threshold. You can make voluntary repayments at any time. If you are an eligible student, the Department of Education and Training (the department) may approve your VET Student Loan for an approved course. The department will pay your loan directly to your approved course provider. You will be responsible for any gap amount in the tuition fees, which are not covered by the loan. You will owe a debt to the Australian Government for the loan, which will be managed by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
BEFORE APPLYING FOR A VET STUDENT LOAN, YOU MUST READ THE VET STUDENT LOAN INFORMATION BOOKLET AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTNERS IN TRAINING CAMPUS OR ONLINE AT www.studyassist.gov.au.
You are eligible for a VET Student Loan if you enrol with Partners in Training (as an approved VET Student Loan provider) if:
- You are an Australian citizen, or
- You are a qualifying New Zealand citizen, who meets all of the following:
- holds a Special Category Visa (SCV); and
- have been usually resident in Australia for at least 10 years; and
- was a dependent child aged under 18 years of age when you first began to be usually resident in Australia; and
- has been in Australia for periods totaling 8 years during the previous 10 years; and
- has been in Australia for periods totaling 18 months during the previous 2 years; or
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder, who is usually resident in Australia.
- providing your Australian Year 12 Certificate; or
- providing a copy of a diploma that has been awarded for the completion of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme; or
- providing evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification or or at a level in a framework that preceded the AQF that is equivalent to level 4 or above in the AQF(where the language of instruction is English); or
- displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
- In addition, Partners in Training must reasonably believe you show competence in completing the course.
If you wish to apply for a VET Student Loan, you must be assessed for academic suitability.
You must be assessed by Partners in Training as academically suited to undertake the course concerned to access a VET Student Loan.
To be assessed as academically suited, you must
- provide a copy of your Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (year 12 Certificate) or;
- evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English).
If you do not have an Australian year 12 Certificate or have not successfully completed an AQF Certificate IV or higher qualification, you must sit an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) test and be assessed as competent at Exit Level 3 in the VETASSESS test in both reading and numeracy.
Applying for a VET Student Loan
Prior to enrolment and commencement of a course, Partners in Training holds an information session which you are required to attend. By attending this information session you receive all the information you need to make an informed choice about your learning. To find out when the next information session for your course is being held and what you need to bring to that information session, please call our office on 1300 664 601.
You must undertake a Pre-Training Review prior to your enrolment and course commencement. For Diploma of Nursing and VET Student Loan students, you must sit an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) test and be assessed as competent at Exit Level 3 in the VETASSESS test in both reading and numeracy.
If you wish to apply for a VET Student Loan, you must complete the Request for a VET Student Loan eCAF by the census date. You must first enrol with Partners in Training and indicate you wish to access a VET Student Loan. Partners in Training will then give the department your enrolment information, including the nearest applicable census day, through the eCAF system. You will then receive an email from the department allowing you to sign into the eCAF system. Once you sign-in, you will need to verify the pre-populated information and complete the mandatory fields. You must then wait at least two full business days after you have enrolled in your studies before submitting the eCAF. You must submit the eCAF on or before the first census day for which you would like the loan to apply. Once you submit your eCAF, you will receive an email confirming your loan approval and providing you with a copy of your completed form. You should keep this form for your records.
For further information about VET Student Loans please download our VET Student Loans Information Sheet here.
For information regarding Student Fees and Charges please download our Student Fees and Charges policy available here.
For information regarding Equal Opportunity, Fair Treatment, Access and Equity Policy and Procedure click here.