VET Student Loans
VET Student Loans is a loan program that helps eligible students enrolled in higher level vocational education and training courses at approved course providers pay their tuition fees. Partners in Training is an approved VET Student Loan provider.
VET Student Loans is not government funding. It is a student loan scheme that provides a loan to a student to undertake their higher level VET studies. If you are approved for VET Student Loans, the Australian Government will pay your tuition fees on your behalf to Partners in Training. Your VET Student Loan must be repaid by you to the Australian Government through the Australian taxation system.
BEFORE APPLYING FOR A VET STUDENT LOAN, YOU MUST READ THE VET STUDENT LOAN INFORMATION BOOKLET AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTNERS IN TRAINING CAMPUS OR ONLINE AT www.studyassist.gov.au.
You are eligible for a VET Student Loan if you enrol with Partners in Training (as an approved VET Student Loan provider) if:
- an Australian citizen, or
- a New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder who meets the long-term residency requirements
- have been usually resident in Australia for at least 10 years
- were a dependent child when you first began to be usually resident in Australia,
- have been in Australia for periods totaling 8 years during the previous 10 years, and
- have been in Australia for periods totaling 18 months during the previous 2 years; or
- a permanent humanitarian visa holder.
- You have not exceeded the FEE-HELP limit
- You have been assessed by your approved course provider as academically suited to undertake the approved course by either:
- providing your Australian Year 12 Certificate; or
- providing evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English); or
- displaying competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test.
- In addition, Partners in Training must reasonably believe you show competence in completing the course.
- You meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements
- You have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) or are otherwise exempt
- You have read the 2017 VET Student Loans Information Booklet
- You have been given the required documents to Partners in Training and submitted the loan application form by the first census day no less than two business days after enrolling.
As of 1 January 2016, if you wish to apply for a VET Student Loan, you must be assessed for academic suitability.
You must be assessed by Partners in Training as academically suited to undertake the course concerned to access a VET Student Loan.
To be assessed as academically suited, you must;
- provide a copy of your Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (year 12 Certificate) or;
- evidence of successful completion of an Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of instruction is English).
If you do not have an Australian year 12 Certificate or have not successfully completed an AQF Certificate IV or higher qualification, you must instead sit an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) test and be assessed as competent at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy. Partners in Training will conduct this test and notify you of your result.
For further information please download our Student Fees and Charges policy available here.
Equal Opportunity, Fair Treatment, Access and Equity Policy and Procedure is available here.