Am I eligible for Victorian Training Guarantee (VTG) funding?

Our VTG Information Sheet (click here) sets out all the information you need in relation to whether you are eligible for VTG funding. You can also check your eligibility using the interactive Victorian Skills Gateway Eligibility Indicator available at Victorian Skills Gateway Eligibility Indicator.

Can I access my student file?

You can access your records in accordance with our Privacy Policy and Procedures by completing a Records Access Request Form available on our website. Click here

Can I study a Diploma if I don’t have a Certificate III or Certificate IV?

There are Diploma level qualifications that do not have a Certificate III or Certificate IV level qualification as an entry requirement. However, there are also Diploma qualifications that require you to hold a Certificate III or Certificate IV qualification as an entry requirement prior to enrolling in a Diploma. Sometimes your pre training review may indicate that you should complete a Certificate III or Certificate IV level qualification prior to a Diploma level qualification so that you successfully participate in and attain your desired learning outcomes.

Do I have to do work placement?

Placement may be included as part of your course so that you can experience how some of the skills you have gained can be applied in a real workplace situation and/or so that you can be assessed in this environment instead of in a classroom. In addition to this, in some qualifications and usually in all Community Services and Health qualifications, placement is a mandatory part of the training package.

Do you offer online courses?

We do not offer any of our courses fully online. We believe in a blended delivery model which may include face-to-face, workplace and/or online learning.

Do you provide work placement?

We facilitate your placement in conjunction with our placement providers and you. We will do our best to accommodate your availability, preference and location for placement but this is not always possible. It is your responsibility to accommodate the placement arrangements made for you by Partners in Training in conjunction with our placement providers.

How do I create my Unique Student Identifier (USI) number?

You can apply for your Unique Student Identifier (USI) online and at no cost by following the steps on the USI website. Partners in Training can apply for a USI on your behalf if you authorise us to do so on your enrolment form.

Information about the USI can be accessed on the USI website fact sheets available online here.

How is my tuition fee under the VTG calculated?

If your are eligible under the Victorian Training Guarantee (VTG), your subsidised tuition fee is calculated by multiplying our hourly rate for the qualification by the number of scheduled contact hours of training prescribed for each unit of competency in which you are enrolled under the VTG. An indication of our hourly rate and the number of scheduled contact hours for each qualification is available here

How long do your courses run for?

The length of our courses vary depending on the qualification in which you enrol and your study load. The length of your course may also be affected by the skills and knowledge you have previously acquired. 

How long is work placement?

The length of a work placement varies depending on the qualification in which you enrol. Usually a Certificate III level qualification has about 120 hours of work placement, a Certificate IV level qualification has about 80 hours of work placement and a Diploma level qualification has about 240 hours of work placement.

How much will a course cost me?

The cost of your course will vary depending on the qualification/units of competencies/modules in which you enrol, the location of your training, your eligibility for funding and your individual circumstances at the time of enrolment. An indication of our fees and charges is available in the Fees & charges section of our website.

How will I be assessed?

Throughout your course, you will be assessed regularly in each unit of competency you are undertaking. This is a necessary part of your course and it is your opportunity to demonstrate the skills and knowledge you have acquired during that unit of competency. As you commence each unit of competency, your Trainer and Assessor will give you an outline which will describe the content, the assessment method/s to be used, performance expectations and when you will be assessed in that unit of competency.

What are scheduled contact hours (SCH)?

Scheduled contact hours (SCH) are the number of nominal hours for each unit of competency prescribed under the Victorian Training Guarantee (VTG) to calculate your subsidised tuition fee if you are eligible under the VTG.

What are the entry requirements?

Some qualifications have entry requirements that are mandatory requirements for you to enrol in a nationally recognised qualification. Entry requirements usually include:

  1. Qualifications that you must hold; and/or

  2. Industry experience you must have; and/or

  3. Physical attributes you must have.

What is a pre-requisite?

Pre-requisites specify the skills and knowledge you must acquire before you are assessed in a unit of competency. A pre-requisite is a unit of competency that you must complete and be deemed competent in before you can undertake the next associated unit of competency. This is because the pre-requisite unit of competency gives you the knowledge you need to complete the next unit of competency.

What is the difference between a certificate and statement of attainment?

A certificate is awarded with a statement of results if you are deemed competent by your assessor and/or been granted a credit transfer and/or recognition of prior learning in all units of competency that are required to successfully obtain a nationally recognised qualification.

A statement of attainment is awarded if you are not deemed competent in or have not acquired competency in one or more units of competency that is required to successfully obtain a nationally recognised qualification.

What is the pre-training review?

A pre training review is mandatory and must be completed by you prior to enrolling and commencing each course with Partners in Training. Your pre training review assists us to identify your previously acquired competencies, suitability and appropriateness for a course. The pre training review is about making sure the training is right for you and is not designed to exclude you from participating in any training. It is designed to ensure we can help you participate in and successfully attain your desired learning outcomes.

What is the Victorian Training Guarantee (VTG)?

The Victorian Training Guarantee (VTG) is an entitlement for eligible individuals to government subsidised training in a vocational training course in Victoria. Partners in Training is contracted with the Victorian Government to deliver training under the VTG. If you are eligible under the VTG, the Victorian Government will contribute to the cost of your training course. If you access your VTG entitlement, it may impact your access to further government subsidised training.


If you are eligible, VET FEE-HELP assists you to pay for all or part of your vocational education and training (VET) tuition fee when studying one or more higher level VET qualifications. VET FEE-HELP is not government funding. It is a student loan scheme that provides a loan to you to undertake your higher level VET studies. If you are approved for VET FEE-HELP, the Australian Government will pay your tuition fee (excluding any services and materials fees) on your behalf to Partners in Training. Your VET FEE-HELP loan must be repaid by you to the Australian Government through the Australian taxation system.

The Australian Government has a detailed website with extensive information, including in relation to eligibility requirements under VET FEE-HELP at If you are applying for VET FEE-HELP assistance you should read the VET FEE-HELP Information booklet available on the Study Assist website.

What is VET?

Vocational education and training (VET) enables you to gain qualifications for all types of employment and specific skills to help you in a workplace. The providers of VET include technical and further education (TAFE) institutes, adult and community education providers and agricultural colleges, as well as private registered training providers, community organisations, industry skill centres and commercial and enterprise training providers. In addition, some universities and schools provide VET. More information on VET can be found on the ASQA website

What study loads do you offer?

You can study on a full-time or part-time basis.

When will I receive my certificate?

You will receive your certificate 30 days after:

  1. You have been deemed competent by your assessor and/or been granted a credit transfer and/or recognition of prior learning in all units of competency that are required to successfully obtain a nationally recognised qualification; and
  2. You have paid your fees in full; and
  3. You have provided us with your correct and current mailing address; and
  4. You have provided us with your Unique Student Identifier (USI).

Where can I do a course?

We offer courses at each of our campus locations in Melbourne, Morwell, Sale and Shepparton. We also offer courses off-site at locations around Australia.

Why do I need a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

A certificate or statement of attainment cannot be issued to you without a Unique Student Identifier (USI).

If you are participating in nationally recognised training, you must have a USI. A USI is a reference number made up of numbers and letters. It creates a secure online record of your nationally recognised training that you can access anytime and anywhere and it’s yours for life. You will be required to provide your USI to Partners in Training during enrolment and no later than prior to course commencement.